Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group - Jan 2014


This group posts every first Wednesday of each month.
Twitter hashtag is #IWSG

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to IWSG page and display the badge in your post.



Thank you to our host, Alex J. Cavanaugh and today's co-hosts: Bob Milne, River Fairchild, Julie Dao, and Sarah Foster!
Visit them to say hello ;)

New Years has passed and we're well on our way into 2014. I'd thought I'd do a post about resolutions and what I'm planning tied in with IWSG, but somehow my mind keeps drifting to only one topic today: INSECURITY.

No matter how much I try, I find myself literally lost trying to swim through writing, publishing, marketing, cross-promoting. Yet there still seems to be a piece of a puzzle I'm missing that I cannot figure out. The only thing I can go back to is being completely insecure about my work. 

Since my goal has always been to make a living with my writing and continue writing until my fingers bleed, not reaching the specific plateau I'd envisioned is difficult and I do think insecurity has something to do with it.

So I think this year, my only resolutions will be try to break free of the protective shell I've kept, reach out to others much more, and take chances and risks I wouldn't have taken otherwise. Hopefully that will give me the strength to believe in what I'd love to reach.

What are your insecurities today? How is 2014 treating you so far? Are you staying warm this winter or has the freeze caught up to you as well?

  

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You've had so much success with your books though. Don't forget that and keep moving forward.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I think your resolutions are excellent and definitely achievable. Good luck! :)

Unknown said...

From one ISW to another, happy 2014. Yes, I'm aiming for a good year, better than the last. So far, so good --- for only 8 days.

shelly said...

It's all about balance. Not always an easy task.

Hope 2014 is great for you.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

It always amazes me when a successful writer admits their insecurities. It just goes to show they never go away. We just have to learn to deal with them.
Best wishes for the New Year.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Taking risks is a great resolution. Good luck with it :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm hardly staying warm (writing this with fingerless gloves), but it is nice to be reminded that we all feel insecure about what we do.

Your goals sound great. I think claiming we will do something exact that has to fit into a square peg hole always sets us up for failure. Taking chances and reaching out to others go hand in hand with each other.

Good luck.

Leanne ( http://readfaced.wordpress.com )